A SPRINGTIME BRIDGE BREAK IN DURHAM AT REDWORTH HALL HOTEL
APRIL 29TH – MAY 2ND (3NIGHTS)
REDWORTH HALL HOTEL IN COUNTY DURHAM IS A STUNNING 17TH CENTURY JACOBEAN MANOR HOUSE SITUATED IN THE BLISSFUL TRANQUILITY OF ITS OWN 26 ACRES OF LANDSCAPED GROUNDS.
A FOUR STAR HOTEL, IT BOASTS A HEALTH CLUB, BEAUTY FACILITIES AND A LOVELY, NATURALLY LIT ROOM FOR OUR BRIDGE ACTIVITIES
INCLUDED IS AN ESCORTED TRIP TO DURHAM TO VISIT THE CATHEDRAL, THE UNIVERSITY, THE CASTLE AND OTHER SIGHTS.
“Why, it’s a perfect little city. If you have never been to Durham, go there at once. Take my car. It’s wonderful”………….Bill Bryson
DOUBLE ROOMS – £285 pp
SINGLE OCCUPANCY OF DOUBLE – £350pp
Good food, good wine, good company – would it be too much to ask for good cards as well?
- Relax! Escape the fast pace of everyday life and unwind in Redworth Hall Hotel’s health club, complete with a fully equipped fitness suite, indoor pool, sauna, steam room and jacuzzi, the use of which is complementary for guests. As well, there are hairdressing and beauty salons,
- Built in 1693 for George and Eleanor Crosier and their five daughters, Redworth House, as it was then known, has a fascinating history.
- The house became the home of the Surtees family. Nine members of the family held the office of High Sheriff of Durham between 1855 and 1958.
- As well as well as being a family home, Redworth Hall has been a school for physically handicapped boys and an institute for ‘Naughty Boys’.
- There are facilities as diverse as free WiFi internet connection and landscaped gardens. In the bedrooms, there are multi-channel flat screen TVs, hairdryers, trouser presses and tea and coffee making facilities. There is 24-hour room service.
- City of Durham – founded over 1000 years ago, it delights its visitors with its impressive Castle, Cathedral and Britain’s 3rd oldest university. It is small and beautiful with cobbled streets and a spectacular river.
- On Monday at 10am, a coach will take us to the City where we will visit all the interesting sights in the company of our own professional tour guide. After lunch, we will board the coach for our return to the hotel to arrive mid-afternoon.
- Other nearby attractions include Raby Castle, the University Botanical Gardens, Beamish Museum, Crook Hall, visited by Wordsworth & Ruskin and the Bowes Museum. Hotel reception will be happy to provide further information / leaflets.
- The 1744 restaurant provides a table d’hôte menu of 5 starters, 5 main courses and 5 desserts. There is a bar which serves food.
- The nearest convenient railway station is Darlington.
PROGRAMME and INFORMATION
- Welcome drinks reception on the first evening.
- Three evenings’ duplicate bridge with prizes.
- Two morning bridge events (including our day of departure – Wednesday 2nd May) with prizes.
- A superb bridge room for our exclusive use.
- Steve will host a seminar. There will be practice hands and comprehensive lecture notes will be provided.
- Half-board accommodation – i.e. Dinner, Bed and Breakfast.
Double/Twin £285 per person
Double/Twin for single occupancy* – only 10 rooms available at £350 per person
*For single occupancy rooms after the first 10, there will be a supplement of £15 per night.
There is a discount of £15.00 for non-players.
When Julie and Steve stayed at the hotel they were impressed with the friendliness of the staff and the grandeur of the hotel.Their visit to Durham was particularly memorable with the Cathedral being the highlight.
The hotel website is:-http://www.thecairncollection.co.uk/hotels/the-redworth-hall/
The Hotel’s address and telephone number: –
The Lodge, Redworth Hall, Surtees Road, Newton Aycliffe, DL5 6NL.